Friday, January 31, 2014

Literary Wives

Literary Wives
hosted by Ariel, Emily, Angela, and Audra
details here

The premise:

A series in which we discuss books about wives and tackling these questions:

1. What does this book say about wives or about the experience of being a wife?

2. In what way does this woman define “wife”—or in what way is she defined by “wife”?


~*~

I decided to join this reading challenge as I love the idea of it.

I will give my rating and brief comments below on the books read. So, this post will be updated throughout the year. Alerts to new comments will appear on the sidebar caption for this challenge.

I will also include some other "wife" related books read not currently on the official reading list.

~*~

The reading list:

May 2013: American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
-my rating: 4
Had a hard time reading this at first knowing that it was based on Laura Bush. But I liked the main character's personality and growth throughout the book.

June 2013: The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
-my rating: 5
Great mix of history, Paris and perspective on Ernest Hemingway.

July 2013: A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
-my rating: 5
Engaging tale of life, love, forgiveness and non-forgiveness that come with harsh realities.

August 2013: The Aviator’s Wife by Melanie Benjamin

October 2013: Ahab’s Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund
-my rating: 4
Good dose of lighthouse living, the sea and a perspective on Captain Ahab in Moby Dick.

December 2013: The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress by Ariel Lawhon
-my rating: 5
Loved the attention to details of the 1920s.

~*~

February 2014: The Inquisitor’s Wife by Jeanne Kalogridis
-did not read

April 2014: The Zookeeper’s Wife by Diane Ackerman
-my rating: 4.5
Good tale that presents a perspective of WWII in Poland that also includes affects on zoo animals.

June 2014: The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness

August 2014: The World’s Wife: Poems by Carol Ann Duffy

October 2014: Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

December 2014: The Shoemaker’s Wife by Adriana Trigiani

~*~

February 2015: The Last Wife of Henry VIII by Carolly Erickson


~*~

Books read not on the official list above:

The Silent Wife by A. S. A. Harrison
-my rating: 5
Good thriller that gives an interesting perspective on the "do nothing" mode.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
-my rating: 5
Loved the concept of this time travel tale.

~*~

Feel free to comment and let me know if you liked or disliked any of these books, etc.


 
Imagination Designs
Images from: Lovelytocu